Guidance & Information

The Process

When a loved one dies abroad, the stress of bereavement can be made worse when dealing with an unfamiliar process far from home. However, we are here to help. You can also contact the British Embassy for advice and further guidance.

Advice, Support And Financial Aid For Families In Wales

Advice, Support And Financial Aid For Families In Wales

Request Assistance

Countries differ with the way they deal with death so please read the information relating to the country the death has taken place in. A death should be registered in the country where your loved one dies. There is information about registering death on GOV.UK here:


Repatriation costs differ from each country

You can view a list of International Funeral Directors on the UK Government website. We can send this info to you if you cannot locate it.

What You’ll Need

A death certificate

Authorisation from the British Embassy to remove the body from the country

A certificate of embalming

The British Embassy or an international undertaker will help you obtain these documents.

Options Available

There are different options available to you. You can choose a burial or
cremation in the country your loved one died, or you can arrange to repatriate your loved one back to Wales.

To Register A Death

Full Name

Date Of Birth

Passport Number

Where And When The Passport Was Issued

Details Of Next Of Kin

Funeral Arrangements

We're here to help and provide you with repatriation support

Advice, Support And Financial Aid For Families In Wales

Request Assistance

The Process

We're here to guide you through the repatriation process. These commonly asked questions may also help:

A relative has died overseas. What should I do?

When you are dealing with the death of a loved one overseas you should contact their insurance company first. They may be able to take care of all the arrangements for you if they are unable to help then you should find an International Funeral Director who will give you all the details and help you may need. You can also contact the British Embassy in the country they may also be able to assist in appointing an International Funeral Director.

Can I carry my loved one’s ashes onboard an aeroplane?

In many cases Ashes can be carried in the passenger hold of an aircraft but you must check with the airline directly.

Cremated remains can either put in the hold or your hand luggage. You must carry with you a Certificate of Death issued by the country you are leaving.  You must ensure the remains are sealed in a container or box. If you carry this in your hand luggage you will still have to go through airport security and this container or box will have to go through an x-ray machine. Therefore, the container or box must be made of a material that doesn’t prevent the x-ray machine from doing it job.

Can I travel on the same flight as my loved one?

This is possible, but you must make arrangements with your Funeral Director and insure your loved one is booked on the plane before you buy your tickets.

Useful Links

You can find help and advice on bereavement from your family doctor or several organisations these include: